BaCO3 is an alkali metal carbonate and HCl is an inorganic acid. Let us explore how these two compounds are reacting to each other.
HCl, a strong minerale suur, reacts with BaCO3, a basic salt leading to the formation of a salt and acid first. The product acid is immediately decomposed into a gas and a liquid.
This article will furnish some idea about all the crucial characteristics of the reaction between HCl and BaCO3.
What is the product of HCl and BaCO3
Barium chloride (BaCl2), koolstofdioksied (CO2), en water (H2O) are the products of the reaction HCl + BaCO3. Carbonic acid (H2CO3), an unstable compound, readily decomposes into carbon dioxide and water. The reaction is shown below.
What type of reaction is HCl + BaCO3
HCl + BaCO3 falls under the type of double displacement reaction.
How to balance HCl + BaCO3
The unbalanced equation for the reaction HCl + BaCO3 is
HCl + BaCO3 = BaCl2 +CO2 + H2O
Below are the steps that should be followed to get the balanced equation
- The number of Ba, C, and O atoms on left hand side and right hand side is same.
- HCl+ BaCO3 = BaCl2 + CO2 + H2O
- The number of H and Cl atoms, on left hand side and right hand side is 1 and 2 respectively.
- HCI + BaCO3 = BaCl2 +CO2 + H2O
- We will multiply HCl with 2 so that number of H and Cl atoms becomes same.
- Finally, the balanced equation is as follows.
- 2HCl + BaCO3 = BaCl2 +CO2 + H2O
HCl + BaCO3 titrasie
To determine the amount of the poorly insoluble salt BaCO3 by HCl, we have to do back titrasie.
Pipette, volumetric flask, conical flask, measuring cylinder, burette, and titration stand
fenolftaleïen is used as indicator in this titration procedure.
- Take BaCO3 sample in a conical flask and HCl (known volume and concentration) was added using a pipette.
- Mix it properly and add a few drops of indicator.
- Titrate the excess HCl with NaOH solution of known concentration from a burette till the color changes to light pink.
- Repeat the procedure 2-3 times to avoid errors and note down the burette reading.
- Finally, using the formula S1V1 = S2V2, the amount of unreacted HCl can be found.
- From the amount of HCl reacted with BaCO3, the amount of BaCO3 can be determined.
HCl + BaCO3 netto ioniese vergelyking
Die netto ioniese vergelyking vir die reaksie HCl + BaCO3 is
CO32- (aq) + 2H+ (aq) → H2O (l) + CO2 (G)
To derive the net ionic equation, follow the below steps.
- Soluble ionic compounds can dissociate into cations and anions.
- HCl, BaCO3, and BaCl2 being ionic, can be written as cations and anions.
- 2H+ (aq) + 2Cl- (aq) + Ba2+ (aq) + CO32- (aq) = Ba2+ (aq) + 2Cl- (aq) + H2O (l) + CO2 (G)
- Finally, after canceling the spectator ions from both sides, we can get the net ionic equation.
HCl + BaCO3 gekonjugeerde pare
In die reaksie HCl + BaCO3,
- Die gekonjugeerde basis van die suur HCl is Cl-.
- For BaCO3, vervoegde paar is nie moontlik nie.
HCl + BaCO3 intermolekulêre kragte
- HCl molecule has two intermolekulêre kragte; dipole-dipole and London dispersion forces. Dipole-dipole interaction is more significant because of its polar nature.
- BaCO3 being ionic in nature has electrostatic force of attraction.
HCl + BaCO3 reaksie entalpie
Die reaksie entalpie value for the reaction HCl + BaCO3 is -2.0 kJ/mole. It is calculated as follows.
|verbindings||Entalpie van vorming (kJ/mol)|
Change in Enthalpy = (enthalpies of formation of all products) – (enthalpies of formation of all reactants)
= [(-871.9) + (-285.8) + (-393.5)] – [2*(-167.2) + (-1214.8)]
= -2.0 KJ/mol.
Is HCl + BaCO3 'n bufferoplossing
HCl + BaCO3 cannot produce a bufferoplossing because HCl is a strong acid, and BaCO3 does not contain the conjugate base of HCl.
Is HCl + BaCO3 'n volledige reaksie
HCl + BaCO3 is a complete reaction as the acid HCl reacts completely with the salt BaCO3.
Is HCl + BaCO3 'n eksotermiese of endotermiese reaksie
HCl + BaCO3 is eksotermiese in nature, which is clear from the calculation of reaction enthalpy -2.0 kJ/mole.
Is HCl + BaCO3 'n redoksreaksie
HCl + BaCO3 kan nie 'n genoem word nie redoksreaksie because the oxidation states of the atoms of the reactant and product molecules are unchanged.
Is HCl + BaCO3 'n neerslagreaksie
HCl + BaCO3 is nie 'n neerslagreaksie because the product BaCl2 is 'n wateroplosbare vaste stof, CO2 is 'n gas, en H2O is vloeistof.
Is HCl + BaCO3 omkeerbare of onomkeerbare reaksie
HCl + BaCO3 is an irreversible reaction as the reaction does not proceed back to the left-hand side once the products are formed.
Is HCl + BaCO3 verplasingsreaksie
HCl + BaCO3 is a displacement reaction as ions are verruil between two reactants BaCO3 and HCl.
In conclusion, the final products are BaCl2, WAT2, en H2O when hydrochloric acid reacts with barium carbonate. BaCl2 is a water-soluble white solid, and CO2 is a colorless, non-flammable gas. The reaction is an example of a double displacement reaction.