Li is an alkali metal and when it reacts with a strong acid like H2SO4, it can release hydrogen gas. Let us understand the reaction mechanism behind Li and H2SO4.
Li has higher standard reduction potential -3.401 EV which is so high that it is placed above hydrogen in the electrochemical series. Lithium can easily donate one electron and can reduce many organic molecules. Sulfuric acid is one of the strongest inorganic acids and it can oxidize many elements in chemistry.
The reaction between Li and H2SO4 vereis nie katalisator, temperature, or pressure. Let us discuss the mechanism of the reaction between sulfuric acid and lithium, the reaction enthalpy, the type of reaction, product formation, etc in the following part of the article.
1. Wat is die produk van H2SO4 and Li?
Lithium sulfate is a major product formed when H2SO4 and Li are reacted together and hydrogen gas is liberated. Li is present in a higher position than hydrogen in the electrochemical series so the corresponding sulfate is formed.
H2SO4 + Li = Li2SO4 + H2
2. Watter tipe reaksie is H2SO4 + Li?
H2SO4 + Li reaction is an example of a single displacement reaction along with redox and precipitation reactions. Here, elements having higher reduction potential reacts with the acid molecule.
3. Hoe om H te balanseer2SO4 + Li?
H2SO4 + Li = Li2SO4 + H2 reaction is not balanced, we have to balance the equation in the following way,
- Eerstens benoem ons al die reaktante en produkte deur A, B, C en D aangesien daar slegs vier molekules vir hierdie reaksie verkry is en die reaksie so lyk: AH2SO4 + B Li = C Li2SO4 + DH2
- Vergelyk al die koëffisiënte vir almal dieselfde tipe elemente deur hulle te herrangskik
- After the rearrangement of all the coefficients of the same elements by their stoichiometric proportion we get, H = 2A = 2D, S = A = C, O = 4A = 4C, Li = B = 2C
- Using the Gaussian elimination and equating all the equations we get, A = 1, B = 2, C = 1, and D = 1, so the oxidation number of Li is +2 on both sides.
- Write the whole equation in the balanced form
- Die algehele gebalanseerde vergelyking sal wees,
H2SO4 + 2Li = Li2SO4 + H2
4. H2SO4 + Li titration
To estimate the quantity of sulfur, we can perform a titration between Li and H2SO4
Ons benodig 'n buret, koniese fles, burethouer, volumetriese fles en bekers vir hierdie titrasie.
Titer en titrant
H2SO4 acts as a titrant which is taken in the burette and the molecule to be analyzed is Li which is taken in a conical flask.
Die hele titrasie word in 'n suur medium of suur pH gedoen, dus die beste geskikte indikator sal fenolftaleïen wees wat perfekte resultate vir hierdie titrasie by gegewe pH gee.
Die buret is gevul met gestandaardiseerde H2SO4 and Li was taken in a conical flask along with the respective indicator. H2SO4 is added dropwise to the conical flask and the flask was shaking constantly. After a certain time when the endpoint arrived, indicator changes its color and the reaction was done.
We repeat the titration several times for better results and then we estimate lithium as well as sulfate quantity by the formula V1S1 =V2S2.
5. H2SO4+ Li net ionic equation
Die netto ioniese vergelyking tussen H2SO4 + Li is as follows,
2H+ + SO42- + 2Li+ + 2e- = 2Li+ + SO42- + H2
- H2SO4 can be ionized to H+ en SO42- as it is a strong electrolyte.
- After that, Li release two electrons for Li+.
- After that, Li2SO4 dissociate into Li+ en SO42- and hydrogen gas remain intact.
6. H2SO4+ Li conjugate pairs
H2SO4 + Li conjugate pairs will be the corresponding de-protonated and protonated form of that particular species which are listed below-
- Vervoegde paar H2SO4 = SO42-
- Vervoegde paar H- = H2
7. H2SO4 and Li intermolecular forces
Die intermolekulêre krag teenwoordig in H2SO4 is due to the strong electrostatic force between a proton and sulfate ions. Also due to polarity, Van der Waal’s attraction is present but in the case of H2, covalent force, as well as dipole interaction is present, and for LiSO4 slegs kovalente krag is teenwoordig.
van der waal se
8.H2SO4 + Li reaction enthalpy
H2SO4 + Li reaksie entalpie is -380 KJ/mol which can be obtained by the formula enthalpy of products – enthalpy of reactants, and here the change in enthalpy is negative.
9. Is H2SO4 + Li a buffer solution?
Die reaksie tussen H2SO4 + Li gives a buffer solution of Li2SO4 en H2 en hulle kan die pH van die reaksie beheer.
10. Is H2SO4 + Li a complete reaction?
Die reaksie H2SO4 + Li is a complete reaction because it gives one complete product Li2SO4 saam met H2 gas. The reaction takes some time to complete until all the reactants completely react with the products.
11. Is H2SO4 + Li an exothermic or endothermic reaction?
The reaction between H2SO4 + Li is exothermic in terms of thermodynamics first law. So, the reaction takes more energy and temperature from the surrounding which helps to complete the reaction, Where δH is always negative.
12. Is H2SO4 + Li a redox reaction?
H2SO4 + Li reaction is a redoksreaksie because in this reaction many elements get reduced and oxidized as hydrogen gets reduced and Li gets oxidized.
13. Is H2SO4 + Li a precipitation reaction
Die reaksie H2SO4 + Li is a precipitation reaction because Li2SO4 presipiteer in die oplossing en is nie oplosbaar in die reaksiemengsel nie.
14. Is H2SO4 + Li reversible or irreversible reaction?
Die reaksie tussen H2SO4+ Li is irreversible because we get H2 gas as 'n produk. Wanneer gas tydens die reaksie gevorm word, neem die entropie van die reaksie toe en die ewewig van die reaksie verskuif slegs na die regterkant.
15. Is H2SO4 + Li displacement reaction?
Die reaksie tussen H2SO4+ Li is an example of enkele verplasing reaction because in the above reaction Li+ verplaas H+ in H2SO4 en H2 gas word vry van die reaksie.
H2SO4 and Li reaction mainly give us lithium sulfate along with hydrogen gas so it is a commercially important reaction for the production of hydrogen gas. Also, the quantitative analysis of H2SO4 and Li gives the amount of lithium as well as sulfate in the respective sample.